Fall TV previews; winners, losers

By Juliana Stumpp

The week of Sept. 24 marks the beginning of the fall television season. While most of us are eager for our favorite shows to return,there will be many new shows added to the weekly lineup. Here’s a guide of what shows are worth tuning into and which ones should be skipped.

“The Mindy Project,” premieres at 9:30 p.m.  Tuesday, Sept. 25, on FOX.

Mindy Kaling, author of “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?,” stars and co-produces her new  TV show. Kaling’s performance in the pilot episode is witty, quirky and charming as she plays a young doctor and hopeless romantic waiting for her Hollywood happy ending to come around. Kaling proves that she can stand on her own two feet after writing and playing Kelly Kapoor on the NBC comedy “The Office,” for eight years.

“Last Resort” premieres at 8 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 27, on ABC.

This thrilling new drama mystery series is earning a lot of praise from critics. The show stars Andre Braugher as Capt. Marcus Chaplin of the missile submarine USS Colorado. Chaplin defies an order to launch missiles that could potentially kill millions of people in Pakistan. America eventually turns its back on the submarine crew  and Chaplin must find them a new home. The series will ask viewers to question their beliefs on duty versus their own conscience.

“Guys With Kids,” premieres at 8:30 p.m.  Wednesday, Sept. 26, on NBC

Emmy Award-winning actor and late night host Jimmy Fallon creates this comedy about new fathers trying to hang on to their youth. “Scary Movie’s” Anthony Anderson and “Bring It On’s” Jesse Bradford co-star as friends trying to adjust to their new roles as fathers while attempting to maintain the life they once knew. “Guys With Kids” seems like another overdone time-slot filler.

“Made in Jersey,” premieres at 9 p.m. Friday, Sept. 28, on CBS

Despite declining interest in New Jersey-themed reality shows, CBS hopes to draw in viewers with “Made in Jersey.” The show introduces Janet Montgomery as a street-smart lawyer born and raised in New Jersey with her big Italian family. The series follows Montgomery’s move to New York to join an uppe- class law firm. Judged from the start, she must prove herself to her fellow colleagues. The showhas promise, with the story of what it takes to chase the American Dream without losing your roots.