Fall preview: CSUSM volleyball takes aim at national prize

By Alex Franco

The CSUSM women’s volleyball team is coming off a stellar 2011 season, where they saw a 29-8 record culminate with an A.I.I conference title and a berth in the NAIA national championships.

This 2012 team however, is hungry for more and isn’t settling for anything less than a national title.

This year’s team currently sits at 11 – 5, with wins against three nationally-ranked opponents.

Coach Andrea Leonard attributes the early success with daily hard work and the team’s mutual belief in the system and coaching, along with a common trust amongst the team.

CSUSM has reaped the benefits of their hard work. The team was recently voted the No.10 in the  NAIA Coaches’ Poll, a ranking that eonard said feels “amazing.”

“It comes at a perfect time for us, because it reinforces the hard work they have put forth and they are seeing the rewards of it,” Leonard said. “They aren’t satisfied with 10 and they’re pretty hungry for elite-elite level. A national title is definitely something we could reach and we’re getting closer to it day by day.”

Leonard cites senior and captain Nichole May as a player to watch this year, along with fellow seniors Lindsey Sappington, Lindsey Mitchell and Brittany Thompson, along with sophomore Taylor Degraaf, who is ranked third in the country in kills this season.

“We have incredible seniors’ who are not not only great volleyball players but great people and team player with big hearts” Leonard said.

Leonard notes that some big matches this coming season will be the games against conference rivals La Sierra on Sept. 26 at home, and No. 2-ranked Concordia on Oct. 9 in Irvine.

“[Concordia] is very good this year, and it is a huge game to watch, I anticipate them to be in the finals again this year,” Leonard said.