The National Science Foundation funds CSUSM students in the Noyce Science and Math

The+National+Science+Foundation+funds+CSUSM+students+in+the+Noyce+Science+and+Math+

By Melissa Martinez

On Sept. 17, CSUSM was awarded 1.2 million by The National Science Foundation (NSF) to fund the Noyce Science and Math Teacher Scholars program for the next five years.

CSUSM’s School of Education and College of Science and Mathematics uses this interdisciplinary program in hopes of having students enter into careers as high school Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) teachers.

Reports from The California State University Chancellor’s Office estimate that in the next ten years, California is projected to need at least 33,000 new science and math teachers.

“The hope is that the Noyce program will help alleviate the barriers perceived by our students and create a pipeline of well-qualified STEM teachers for our region,” chair of CSUSM’s Mathematics Departments, Andre Kundgen said.

In hopes of gaining student interest, an annual supply of $12,000 from the NSF fund will be given to 38 Noyce Scholars, who are qualified mathematics and science majors. In order to participate, the scholars selected must commit to teaching two years of high school level science or mathematics, once they earn their credential at CSUSM’s School of Education, for each year the scholarship is accepted.

Prior to acceptance into the program, scholars will be given the the opportunity to participate in the paid Learning Assistants program, where undergraduates work with faculty and fellow students in a Learn by Doing Lab that provides hands-on experience in the field of teaching at in the area high schools.

Applications for the CSUSM Noyce Science and Math Teacher Scholars program will open in spring 2013 for a fall 2013 admission. For more information, contact Brian Lawler at 760-750-4260 or [email protected].