Comic Book Corner: ‘Trailblazer’ and Conjecture

Trailblazer graphic novel image
Picasa

By Faith Orcino
Cartoonist

Best known for their works with DC Comics, writing duo Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti released the graphic novel “Trailblazer” in June 2011. Though Image Comics published the novel more than a year ago, it is has a similar feel to the new movie “Looper.”

Both deal with crimes and time-travelling but with different and interesting scenarios. In “Trailblazer,” it is the government that uses an experimental time-traveling machine as the new witness protection option. The newest client is a hitman who provided evidence for the convictions of his former employers. Now this modern gunslinger must get used to his new life in the Old West, hoping everything before will simply be of the past. For more information on this comic and many more, either visit your local or online comic vendors.

Conjecture/ConChord 2012
On Oct. 5 -7, sci-fi and fantasy lovers will flock to the Town and County Resort Hotel and attend the fifth annual Conjecture 2012. This year, it is partnering up with the Southern Californian filk music convention, ConChord 24.

For those who have no idea what filk music is, according to ConChord 24’s site, it is a combination of original and parody musical pieces that reference sci-fi and fantasy. The convention has a wide variety of events for fans, ranging from filk concerts, gaming venues and their own masquerade ball.

The guests of honor are author Particia C. Wrede, musician Heather Dale and artist Laura Reynolds. There is a special pre-registration price online until Sept. 30, so visit Conjecture.org to view the complete list of prices and events.