Library’s Indian art exhibit challenges stereotypes

photo of art exhibit
A new exhibit in the Kellogg Art Gallery seeks to show that local Indian tribes have more cultural diversity than just casinos.

By Katie Sweeney

Features Editor

Students can find interesting information not only in the books at Kellogg Library, but in its décor as well.

Since Sept. 25, the “More Than Casinos: California Indian Culture, Contributions and Communities” exhibit has been granting visitors an inside look at the lives and culture of Native Americans.

“The theme of the exhibit is to showcase a more holistic view of contemporary American Indian people,” the Outreach Librarian and coordinator of the context, Melanie Chu said.

It features items from local tribes, as well as the work of California Indian artists Gerald Clarke and Robert Freeman. Tribes that are represented in the exhibit include Pechanga, Luiseno, Pomo, Rincon, Karuk, Cahuilla, Kumeyaay, Acjachemen, Pauma, Chumash, and many others.

Like the title suggests, the name “More Than Casinos” comes from the association of American Indians with casinos. The exhibit aims to show visitors that there is much more to the culture and the people.

“It is important for many reasons,” Chu said. “We have many tribal communities and reservations in San Diego County with a long culture and local history to understand. We have a California Indian Culture and Sovereignty Center on campus, and we have a small, growing number of American Indian students [at CSUSM].”

This is the 18th Exhibit in the Context: Library Series on display in Kellogg Library. Each fall and spring semester, classes and groups on campus incorporate what they have learned in the classroom when they visit the library to discuss the exhibits. “More Than Casinos” will be on display until Dec. 14.