Improv Spotlight: Frank John Tabarez

improvisational comedy logo

By Melissa Martinez

News Editor

Improvisational comedy is a good way to relax, let off steam and have fun. It’s also a way to build confidence and self-esteem. For self-described “super-duper senior” Frank John Tabarez, being a member of the CSUSM Improv Team has not only taught him valuable skills, it has also given him a family of friends on campus.

The Cougar Chronicle sat down with Tabarez to talk about improv and what he has learned from it over the years.

Question: What made you decide to join the improv team?

Answer: Two years ago, my roommate Lance Rosenberger got me involved. After a lot of persuading, he finally got me to go and I enjoyed it.

Q: How would you describe improv?

A: Improv is short for improvisation. We, as a team, get on the stage and literally improvise scenes from suggestions yelled out by the audience. Through their participation, we are able to make scenes and create characters in ridiculous scenarios.

Q: Why is it important to have an improv team on campus?

A: It is important because we, as a team, want to entertain and make people laugh. It’s also a way to come together. Regardless of your experience, we welcome all and give everyone the opportunity to learn.

Q: How long have you been participating in improv?

A: Technically, two years. I took half a semester off, but wanted to come back because I really missed performing. Q: How has performing on the improv team changed or impacted your life? A: Improv has really changed my life significantly. I am more outspoken and confident. There is something about being on a team and performing with your teammates that is so rewarding and satisfying.