Genetically engineered foods face labeling with Prop. 37

photo of tomatoes being injected with syringes
This image from wakeupworld.com is a photo illustration for food products that have been genetically engineered.

By Wendolyn Leal

Prop. 37 has one goal, to make changes to increase the regulation of genetically engineered (GE) products. If Prop 37 is approved, the law would require that raw and processed GE foods sold in grocery stores be labeled so consumers are informed of what they are consuming.

In 2012, legislative analysts concluded that about 40 – 70 percent of food products at local grocery stores inCaliforniacontain some GE ingredients. However, the federal law does not specifically require the regulation of GE foods. Nonetheless, the product is labelled as “Genetically Engineered.”

Currently, no other states require the labeling of GE foods.

If Prop 37 passes, the retailer would be held responsible for complying with the legislation by assuring that their food products are correctly marked. In the past, when calorie content began being included in the label of foods, the prices did not change, which was a concern for families and especially college students. While making the changes in labeling GE ingredients, prices of food will not be affected.

There is a growing attitude in favor of reforming American agriculture and regard about where our food comes from and how it was produced. College students have difficulty attempting to save money and buy quality food. It isn’t common because healthy food is typically more expensive. However, students and families feel they have the right to know what ingredients in their food are natural and what isn’t. Proposition 37 informs consumers of the extent of GE they are ingesting.