Chronicle staff pick favorite Halloween films

Still from movie Hocus Pocus
“Hocus Pocus,” a musical Disney Channel film, is a staff favorite for Halloween film-viewing.

“The Others” is a psychological thriller about a women and her two children, who are sensitive to light, and need to be in the dark at all times. Strange unexplainable things begin to happen when they hire a new maid. It is a good film to watch if you like psychological thrillers. –Karla Reyes

“The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra” is a film poking fun at the B horror films from the 50s and 60s. It’s a humorous slice of culture you really shouldn’t miss out on. –Stephen DiPadova

My ultimate favorite Halloween movie is “The Haunted Mansion.” Being someone who doesn’t like scary movies too much, I like that comedian Eddie Murphy brings a light and funny factor to the film. –Jessie Gambrell

Saucy, outrageous, hilarious and bizarre, “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” is a Halloween treat, different than anything else you’ll watch on spooky nights. If you’re feeling brave, check out the La Paloma live version every Friday night at midnight. –Kristin Melody

“The Addams Family,” the creepy, kooky, mysterious and spooky family never fails to win me over with their endless charm. Never have I wanted to be part of a stranger family than the Addams family. Well, maybe they’re up there with the Full House family. –Keandre Williams-Chambers

I’ve watched “Hocus Pocus” every year since I was a little kid and it never gets old. I love how it is based off of the real life Salem witch trials. It’s just a fun movie that doesn’t include gore or creepy surprises. –Juliana Stumpp

“Paranormal Activity” always gets me spooked whenever I watch it. Whether it’s Paranormal Activity 1, 2 or 3. I’d say it is one of the perfect scary movies to sit down and watch during the season of ghosts, goblins and witches. It’s so scary, I can never watch it without covering my face, and I love that thrill it leaves you with. –Ally Ruiz

My favorite Halloween movie is “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” because I love all of the characters! Snoopy is the best animated dog there is. –Katlin Sweeney