Movie Review: Enjoying the flight, with ‘Flight’

In the film “Flight,” Denzel Washington is a daring pilot who saves his passengers in a daring landing, but investigators discover he had alcohol in his system at the time of the crash.

By Karla Reyes

Director Robert Zemeckis has produced yet another hit, “Flight,” to add to his already loved favorites such as “Castaway” and “Forrest Gump.”

The movie follows the story of commercial airline pilot, Whip Whitaker (played by Academy Award-Winner Denzel Washington) and his struggle to keep sober, while pending the investigation of what was the real cause of a terrible airplane accident.

The opening scene of the movie jumps right into Whitaker’s lifestyle and habits. There is no denying his skills and charisma, but on that same note, one quickly realizes that his addictions overshadow his skills. After being baptized as a hero by the media and the community, the legal consequences of the incident eclipse his new life with his old habits coming to keep him company.

Washington does a flawless job in engaging the audience and creating authenticity in these issues. The rest of the supporting cast: Kelly Reilly (Nicole, an addict), John Goodman (Whitaker’s dealer), Bruce Greenwood (Charlie, an old friend from the Navy and now Union representative), and Don Cheadle (Hugh), all add genuineness to the story.

The special effects go unnoticed and actually look realistic. You feel like you are experiencing and seeing everything first hand.

“Flight” is a profound and moving story about facing your addictions, accepting help and taking responsibility for your actions. It’s a very moving story that quickly captivates the audience and takes you through the ups and downs with Whip.

5/5 Paws