Prowlin’ the Kitchen: Stirring up Soup

By Jenna Jauregui: “The Cookin’ Cougar”

There is an old Spanish saying that says, “Between soup and love, the first is better.”   Although some may not take their food preferences to such extremes, there is no denying the warm pleasure of a bowl of fragrant, steaming soup on a chilly autumn evening.  Soup can serve as a light lunch or, when paired with a sandwich or pasta dish, a filling dinner.  It may be easy to break out the can opener and heat some pre-packaged chowder or broth, but with only a few more minutes of preparation, you can enjoy a bowl of homemade soup custom designed to suit your taste.  A little time on the stove and your soup will be ready for slurping.  Full of nutritious ingredients and vitamins, soups are a scrumptious way to stave off winter cold and flu season.  There is a reason why people recommend eating chicken soup when you get sick!  Here is a recipe to get you started.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 cup chopped cooked chicken

½ avocado, diced

¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves

1 can diced tomatoes

1 chopped poblano pepper

Vegetable or chicken stock

Handful of corn tortilla chips

Shredded cheese

Pour all ingredients except the stock and chips into a pot and heat on the stove until warmed.  Add stock until desired consistency.  Crumble tortilla chips into a bowl and ladle soup over the top.  Add shredded cheese over the top and enjoy!

The avocados and black beans in this soup are nutritional powerhouses.  CSUSM health educator Cathy Nguyen said, “Good sources of nutrients found in avocados include: beta carotene, magnesium, Vitamin E, and potassium to name a few.”  Regarding the health benefits of black beans, she said, “according to a research study from Michigan State University in 2003, black beans have the most antioxidant activity of all flavonoids when compared to 12 other varieties of dry beans.  Black beans are also an excellent source of dietary fiber and help with digestive disorders.”

This soup proves that eating healthy can be delicious!  Ciao, my soup chefs!