Students say realistic goals make best New Year’s resolutions

Students say realistic goals make best New Years resolutions

By Keandre Williams-Chambers

Staff writer

The 2013 year is just over the horizon and it’s almost time to have a new set of goals to complete.
But before you make those new resolutions, it may be a good idea to evaluate the resolutions you made last year. New Years is a time of looking forward and taking any mistakes you’ve made in the past and finally applying the lessons learned. However, in order to complete this endeavor, you would need to keep in mind your performance from the last year.
Ask yourself; do you remember your resolutions from January, 2012? And if you do, how long did you keep those? Did you stay true to them, or did you decide they were impossible? And most importantly, were they realistic enough that you could stay to it?
Second year student Maribel Olea contemplated these questions deeply. She recalled making wishes for the ending year, which did eventually come true.
“Well, I remembered that I wished to be more open and meet more people, [and] to be closer to people. It forced me to get out my comfort zone. It took a long time, but each time I tried, things got better,” Olea said.
Effort was an important part on the completion of Olea’s goals. She made her goals something that were both realistic and attainable, which made them much more likely to come to pass.
Second year student Karen Guzman remembers her New Years resolution clearly. She made her goal wide enough in terms of time so that she could give herself the time and focus to achieve it, but made it specific and important enough so that she could not lose sight on it.
An important thing to note when making your resolutions for the New Year is to make certain that they are attainable. Don’t over-think a goal, because the likelihood of it coming to pass will dim as time goes on. It’ll require too much effort. Make it simple, make it sweet. Let yourself want it enough to work for it, but make it sweet enough so that you won’t lose interest. And most of all, make it something worthwhile. The more value you place on it, the more likely you’ll want it and regret it if you don’t try for it.