‘Warm Bodies’ a zombie novel with heart and brains

By Morgan Hall

Co-Editor in Chief

Written in 2011 by Isaac Marion, “Warm Bodies” is a comedic and romantic love story about a zombie who falls head over brains in love with a mortal girl.

The main character, R, who can’t remember his real name or how he became a zombie, has been spending possibly years in the confines of an airport, which he and hundreds of other zombies call home and have formed a community. R is different than his fellow zombies and has developed a unique personality and strives to figure out his purpose in life.

Not being able to hold long thoughts down or speak words with more than three syllables, R personally enjoys riding the airport escalators for hours or spending time with his friend and fellow zombie M.

R and M also take occasional trips to the outside city to hunt and feast on the brains and bodies of the “Living,” which R is not particularly found of. On one trip, R and his fellow zombies find a small group of the living and begin feasting. As he starts consuming one man’s brains, he sees these vivid memories from that man’s life and feels this deep connection to that man’s girlfriend, Julie, which he falls in love with.

During their time together, R slowly begins to transform himself and starts to break away from the typical zombie tendencies and changes those around him to become more human like.

“Warm Bodies” is an easy read, with a great love story from start to finish with a killer ending. It’s a novel that will put life and death in perspective and will allow the reader to see that just because you are a zombie doesn’t mean you have to act like one. Be warned, this book is not for the faint of heart due to its graphic nature and harsh language.

“Warm Bodies” will also be a major motion picture set to hit theaters Feb. 1, starring Nicholas Hoult and Teresa Palmer.