BOOK REVIEW: ‘Last One’ offers 10 keys to a fabulous single life now and an even better marriage later

By Alison Seagle

Love is in the air, or for some, maybe it’s not this Valentine’s Day.

Whether in a relationship or not, Shannon Fox and Celeste Liversidge’s book, “Last One Down the Aisle Wins” is a great guidebook for anyone navigating their 20s. Though the authors write to a female audience, the advice given in the book is really applicable to both genders.

After the authors point out some statistics that state the chances of staying married double if you get married after the age of 25, and they review their top 10 reasons why people get married too young, they go on to cover 10 keys for having an awesome journey through your 20s. Topics throughout the book include: friendships, family life, career path, finances, emotional management, body image, independence, spirituality, sex and adventure.

Each chapter has quizzes so the reader can get a feel for where they stand on the topic. It also gives real-world accounts of others who have made mistakes and offers advice for how the reader can figure out what track they want to get on and how to make it happen for themselves. The authors also include their personal insights from time to time.

Shannon Fox is a marriage counselor and Celeste Liversidge is a lawyer who practices family law. Both women have seen their fair share of clients whose marriages have gone bad, which is what inspired them to write this book.

So whether someone is happily head-over-heels in a relationship and just needs a reality check, or someone feels like they are wasting their 20s because they’re not in a relationship, this book is a must read.