What NOT to do on Valentine’s Day this year

By Kia Washington & Keandre Williams-Chambers

Staff Writers

Valentine’s Day is on the horizon, and of course the butterflies and other semi-romantic things are suddenly abundant in the air.

And for this article, of course, we would like to play the harsh roles of Cupid’s not-so-heavenly attendants. Now, we understand the opportunity that arises, and that there are so many possibilities and we cannot possibly tell you how to do Valentine’s Day right. But we can try to prevent you from doing it horribly wrong.

First of all, you shouldn’t heavily involve text messaging, because that is such an impersonal way of communicating. And, as we all know, it is horrible to use that as both the catalyst and end of events. Could you imagine how lost the implications and emotions are in asking someone out over text or, worse…breaking up with them.

Don’t be secretive about Valentine’s Day to the point it would be considered cryptic. You know that gets the expectations up, and we doubt anyone can live up to those unreasonably high expectations.

Unless the relationship is solid and committed, we wouldn’t give in to pressure to move up levels in the relationship, and this includes proposals.  We suggest that people don’t get engaged until the idea of a life commitment is discussed between the parties involved, not made simply on a somewhat romantic whim. Trust us, it won’t be so romantic when that’s the only foundation of a new level in the relationship.

Here are some small things:
Don’t go to a place that has a drive thru to celebrate. Unless that is a sentimental thing, it’s probably not going to set a good mood for the rest of the day.

Don’t go all out but don’t exactly go cheap. Though the thought may count, sometimes a visual or tactile reminder would be endearing.

Don’t be reckless. Sure, it may be a good day for a date, but unless you’re both thrill-seekers, I wouldn’t suggest extreme events simply to make the day memorable.

Don’t think of those sappy, romantic dates like the ones you see in the lovey-dovey movies. Chances are, you’re not the only one thinking of it, so it might be nice to think just a smidge out of the box to save yourself the problem of booked-solid restaurants and events.

Don’t throw things up in the air. If you’re intending to do something for Valentine’s Day, at least make some sort of plan for the day. Don’t wing it just because spontaneity is romantic. There is a possibility that things just won’t work out, and it wouldn’t look like the thought that should count was put into the day.

We also cannot stress it enough to not use this day as a cover for ulterior motives. Regardless of the level of intelligence of your somewhat-significant other, no one enjoys being played for benefit of another’s fulfilled desires. Keep both parties involved in mind, and always make certain that everything is done out of true and honest feelings, not just obligation.

That all in mind, we wish you a wonderful Valentine’s Day! And for all you single people, don’t worry! At least you’re not draining both your wallet and wit to stress yourself over the wants of another. Stress isn’t good for that attractiveness you have.