Athlete Spotlight: Softball pitcher Cortney Allen

CSUSM softball pitcher Cortney Allen

By Karla Reyes

Senior Cortney Allen has made her team, coaches and family very proud by pitching a perfect game in the Cougars’ season opener against La Sierra on Feb 10. She also won CSUSM’s Student Athlete of The Week, and received the “All-American athlete award.”

Question: How long have you been playing?
Answer: I started playing when I was 6 years old, all the way till high school. I stopped playing for five and a half years at 18 due to a back injury. I wasn’t planning on coming back but a friend at Sac City College told me the team needed a pitcher, so I checked it out. Then the CSUSM coach contacted me, and I started playing here.

Q: Do you plan to continue playing softball after college?
A: Not personally, but maybe coaching. I teach little girls how to play, my youngest one is 6 years old. And maybe stop by CSUSM field and help coach with pitching.

Q: Any advice or motto you live by or keep in mind?
A: Just, do what your heart feels. Enjoy the game you play and don’t let anybody stop you from what you believe in.

Q: What do you think attributed to the teams success, like being a Top Ranked NAIA’s team?
A: Training a couple weeks before season starts. Do our gym workout and out in the field, from 9-5, and good chemistry in the team so we all work well.

Q: Any advice for an aspiring pitcher?
A: Just work everyday to better yourself. It’s like coach says. “You all go to school and come to softball practice, that’s your job.” Softball is our job.

Q: What are some of your goals for this season?
A: Personal, Pushing myself to have more wins than last year. I had 24 [wins] last year. Just be stronger and dominate on the mound and get All American this year again. As a team, win number one in the National Championship and conference championship.

You can cheer on Cortney and the rest of the softball team at their next back-to-back home game on Friday, March 1 at 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.