CoBA home to many student outreach groups

By Juliana Stumpp

Markstein Hall, which opened in 2006, quickly became the campus’ official building for the College of Business Administration (CoBA). Since then, many organizations and programs have been established in CoBA, such as the co-ed business fraternity, Alpha Kappa Psi, Global Business Management and clubs for business emphasis’.
Sarah Do, a CoBA representative for Associate Student, Inc., has had the position for the past two years, is involved in Alpha Kappa Psi and is the vice president of the Entrepreneur Society. In her third year in the business administration program with an emphasis in management, Do has been an advocate for both ASI Board of Directors and CoBA.
“CoBA appreciates our help because we have two orientations, fall and spring. ASI helps with fliers, food, marketing and other resources. Student organization meetings inform CoBA how ASI can help market these programs,” said Do.
One of the biggest events that CoBA has is the Wine, Food and Brew Festival during the fall.  The fundraiser includes local sponsors and vendors while supporting the College of Business Administration’s student achieve future goals.
As a representative for the past two years, Do has seen changes in both departments.
“CoBA has always been organized even before I started. They have a great faculty and staff that are so welcoming and efficient. While ASI, there are always different people that come together and help one another. Each college has two representatives, so for CoBA its myself and Israel Irizarry. It’s helpful to have a second person there so we can collaborate and get different perspectives,” said Do.
Do has also learned what it takes to be a leader on campus. Do has learned that to make a change you must share your opinions with others because ultimately the board of directors is on campus to represent the students.
Last year’s Student at Large Representatives started a survey they would give out to students to understand the concerns they had as a student body. This process has been continued this year adding a new questions such as “If you could ask President Haynes something, what would it be?” The surveys are then given to ASI President Scott Silvieria to review during monthly meetings.
Do’s advice for anyone wanting to run for CoBA Representative is “talk to students before running so you have a plan of what you want to accomplish and goals. If you don’t then people might be skeptical. Get involved in CoBA because they appreciate students that are involved.”
Coming up for CoBA is their spring orientation on March 28 during U-Hour in Markstein Hall where students can learn about the different opportunities the business administration has to offer.