Cougar Shuffle: Music for the mid-semester blues

By Keandre Williams-Chambers

It’s hard to believe that we have only been in school for a bit more than 30 days when it actually feels we’ve been back for 30 months. With the tedium of classes and other stressors in our daily lives, we present you with a de-stressor playlist that consist of low-energy songs with just enough hook to keep you from falling asleep on your homework but to calm the nerves and ease the mind.

Out My Mind, Just in Time” By Erykah Badu

This soothing track from the Neo-Soul artist, Erykah Badu, is sure to calm with its jazzy feel and sweet undertones of love and deep emotion. Although it is lengthy at a good 10 minutes long, the time is sure to pass by while absorbing this closing track from her fifth studio album, “New Amerykah Part Two (Return of the Ankh).” You might even find yourself wondering if you’ve listened to more than just one song.

I Love the Rain” By The Real Tuesday Weld

Though it may not be raining outside, you might find yourself wishing it were with this upbeat track that is surprising in its ability to put the mind at ease with more pleasurable thoughts about the weather outside. Whether it be in humor at the heat or reminiscence of chill, queue this song up and you’ll find yourself wanting a good rainy day.

Rewrite (Adem Remix)” By Sia

Here is a song that presents a calm and intriguing air about it from this Australian singer-songwriter that is part of the genius behind some songs we all know, such as “Diamonds” sung by Rihanna and “Blank Page” sung by Christina Aguilera. This track shows a beautiful blend of the voices of Sia Furler and English singer Adem Ilhan.

Distractions” By Zero 7

Whether or not you focus on the lyrics, it is a good song to get lost in and perhaps even daydream in. Just a word of caution: if you think the ideal is portrayed in this song, you’ll be quite surprised by the flip side of every verse. That dreamy smile might just come to a quick thoughtful expression on your face.

Beast” By Agnes Obel

Take a listen to this delightful piece by Danish singer/songwriter/pianist Agnes Obel, and let yourself get lost in the ideal this song can drop you into.  Some describe it as hypnotic, with a sweet spell cast on the listener until the final second. The contrast between the piano background and the lyrics is—dare I say, haunting.