Editors Roundtable: The sad case of Christopher Dorner

Christopher+Dorner
Christopher Dorner

Since the first two victims were shot to death Feb. 3 by ex-Los Angeles police officer Christopher Dorner, the scandalous case of Dorner has gotten everyone up in a tizzy.

Dorner fled from the cops all over San Diego, finally fleeing to the snowy hills of Big Bear Mountain. Dorner  murdered four innocent victims, (two of them fellow policemen, the other two were the daughter of the L.A. police officer who fired Dorner in 2008 and her fiancé), before taking his own life, cornered in an overtaken cabin. Shortly after the gunshot was heard, the entire cabin went up in flames, burning to the ground. It took several days for the police to confirm that it was indeed Dorner who had gone down in the flames.

Several Cougar Chronicle editors shared their thoughts on the Christopher Dorner case.
“Aside from watching the news coverage of Christopher Dorner surrounded by police in the cabin in Big Bear, I did not follow this story too closely. But based on what I learned from watching the cabin go up in flames and what the news anchors discussed, I’m glad that Dorner was caught and is no longer able to harm more people. Him being on the loose gave me a sense of uneasiness, but thankfully the police were able to prevent the danger Dorner posed to others from increasing.”

– Features Editor Katlin Sweeney 

“The Dorner case was something that I feel was taken a bit extremely. Of course, there was the issue to consider that law enforcement officers were being targeted and were quite likely in greater danger than bystanders, but the lengths gone were a bit extreme with a few near misses along the way. Although it did indeed come to a close, I feel as though the methods used weren’t by the book and could have resulted in damage not only to others but damage to the reputation of law enforcement in the area. It could have been handled better, in my opinion, but the results were more or less desirable.”

– Copy Editor Keandre Williams-Chambers

“When I first saw the news alert of ex-L.A. police officer Christopher Dorner fleeing the police all across our hometown county, I was shocked! Nothing that scandalous happens in San Diego. It was especially shocking when he fled to Big Bear where I have traveled to many times over the years. I feel bad that he flipped out like that, I can’t image turning psychotic like that if I was kicked out of my career. I can totally see how upset the cops would if many of their fellow policemen were getting shot down in cold blood. I think it ended fairly, it’s just too bad those innocent people had to die before they brought him down.”

— Opinion Editor Jessie Gambrell

“I’m not so informed on the Dorner issue but it makes me wonder what drove him to such a dramatic conclusion. It is unfortunate that officers in our society could succumb to such a dreadful fate.”

– News Editor Melissa Martinez

“It was an unfortunate case that happened, it’s a shame there were so many casualties and that a man was driven to such an extent to exact revenge on them. I want to know the whole story behind this and what exactly went on that we don’t know 100 percent about right now before we make a judgment on it, but it is a tragedy for the families and people involved.”

– Sports Editor Alex Franco