‘Psycho’ TV spinoff excites viewers

By Juliana Stumpp

A&E Editor

It’s been more than 50 years since the film “Psycho” hit theaters and made an impact on the industry by defining the new horror genre.

With “Psycho” being a huge success and nominated for four Academy Awards, it’s a wonder why there has never been a spin-off of the taunting movie until now.

“Bates Motel” is a prequel to the 1960 film and features Verm Farmiga, from “Up in the Air,” as Norma Louise Bates and Freddie Highmore, from “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” as a teenaged Norman Bates.

On March 18, the premiere began as Norman finds his father dead and his mother insisting they move to Oregon to “start over” and run a motel.  Displeased with the move, Norman attempts to make the most of it by making friends and joining a sports team, which his mother resents. While working on the motel one afternoon, the former owner of the property expresses his dissatisfaction with the newest owners. Without giving too much away, the first episode keeps you at the edge of your seat and finishes with you wanting more.

Throughout the episode, you could tell the cinematographer adapted some of the camera work that was used in “Psycho” to give the series that Alfred Hitchcock eerie essence. The audience can expect more twists and turns in this adaptation set in modern day.

Watch the series premiere on www.aetv.com/bates-motel and tune in at 10 p.m. Monday nights on the “A&E” station for new episodes.