Netflix Picks: ‘Xamd’ ‘Red Hood’ worth a look

By Faith Orcino

Staff Cartoonist

“Xamd: Lost Memories”

4/5 Pawprints

Created by animation studio Bones, “Xamd: Lost Memories” was its first online exclusive project with Sony’s Playstation Network in 2008. Two years later, Sentai Filmworks picked up the English licensing rights to the series. The story begins with the postal ship named Zanbani and its confrontation with an armada. Viewers then shift to Akiyuki Takehara, a young high school student who lives in island similar to the present-day Japanese country side, excluding the large flying airships. The day Akiyuki arrived on time for the school bus was fate, for that bus ride changed his life and him into an Xamd. For those familiar with Bones’ works, the world of “Xamd” seems very similar to their previous series “Eureka Seven.” The team also reunited with composer Michiru Oshima who worked with their first Fullmetal Alchemist project.  There are many wonderful action sequences and drama fills in the gap between them. At times, it seems that some of the progressions of characters go too fast, but there is only so much the creative team could fit in the whole series.

“Batman: Under the Red Hood”

5/5 Pawprints

Though an animated film, this cartoon movie deals with the dark history of Gotham City’s Batman.  Released in 2010 from DC Comics and Warner Bros, “Under the Red Hood” starts out with the end of Batman’s second robin, Jason Todd. It then skips five years to the city where crime lords scramble as a new threat appears under the name “The Red Hood.” The film is an adaptation to Judd Winick’s story arc under the same name.  The voice cast includes Neil Patrick Harris from “How I Met Your Mother,” Jensen Ackles from “Supernatural” and Bruce Greenwood as Batman. For some, this movie’s version of the Joker may be an issue for viewers. It is a unique design and a bit different compared to its other manifestations such as in the comics or Dark Knight Films. But rest assured, voice actor John DiMaggio brings the villain back to a level of familiarity. Even if you have not read any of the comics, this film would be able to bring you up to speed and bring you into the mystery and action in Gotham City.