‘RuPaul’ drag queens attend campus LGBTQA event

By Juliana Stumpp

A&E Editor

On March 22, the LGBTQA Pride Center and ASI partnered together to present “Glitter on the Highway: A Gender Bendering Extravaganza,” which featured drag queens and a king from the hit television show “RuPaul’s Drag Race.”

The event featured MC Regina Styles and two contestants from season 2 of “RuPaul’s Drag Race,” Pandora Boxx and Morgan McMichaels, as well as Mayhem Miller. In addition to the three women performing was Landon Cider, a drag king.

Styles came out first to perform before introducing the other four entertainers. McMichaels lip-synched and danced to P!nk’s “Blow Me (One Last Kiss).” However, the lights and sound weren’t cooperating causing her to act like a diva yelling, “fix the fu**ing sound,” before leaving the stage. Next came Miller looking fierce in bright red contacts and walking around the room like she owned it.

Crowd favorites were Boxx and Cider for their humorous performances. First Boxx came out in a 50’s inspired dress with black cats singing along to a song titled “Eat S**t and Die.” After a couple sets, she returned incorporating quotes from the movie “Bridesmaids” into her performance of “Fly Like an Eagle.”

Cider first came on stage sporting a bald cap impersonating the pop star Pitbull singing along to songs like “Hotel Room Service,” “I Know You Want Me” and “Back in Time.”

After a few more sets of performances, there was a small intermission that was immediately followed by a drag queen and king contest in which audience members could win the title of the night. There was a women’s and men’s side that each would walk down the walkway strutting their stuff. At the end, the audience chose Viv Nyugen’s alter ego “Psy-cho,” a drag version of the Asian pop star “Psy,” for drag king and Evan Long for drag queen as “Ms. Applebaum.”

Coming from someone who has never been to a Drag Show, I did not know what to expect. My friend watched the television series and always talked about it so when I mentioned the event to her, she was quickly on board. Although I felt uncomfortable at first, I relaxed as the night went on. I went in with an open mind and left having fun memories. The night was about expressing yourself and accepting others and all troubles and judgments were left at the door.

“RuPaul’s Drag Race” is aired on both the “Logo” and “VH1” station. For more information about LGBTQA Pride Center events, visit www.csusm.edu/pridecenter