The Catholic Club from a member’s perspective

By Jessie Gambrell

Opinion Editor

The CSUSM Catholic Club allows myself and other students to learn, embrace and actively participate in the Catholic faith on campus.

With the club meeting every Wednesday night, 7 – 9 p.m. in room 110 of the Clarke, we have a set time every week to come together as a group and discuss our religion.

“I’m proud to say that my best friends are people that I met through Catholic Club. I have enjoyed seeing the club grow throughout my four years at Cal State,” Catholic Club President, Andrew Reed said.

We have rotating scheduled activities such as a speaker night, a social night, Bible study night with Matthew Rossio and mass with Father Patrick from the Miles Christi religious order, followed by confessions and questions for a priest. The club also occasionally takes our meetings off campus and into the community.

On March 13, myself, and nearly 20 members of CSUSM’s Catholic Club, walked in silence from our regular Wednesday meeting to light candles and pray in front of stairs of the PPH medical facility in remembrance of aborted fetuses. Within the PPH facility is the North County Women’s Medical Clinic that does offer abortion services.

“It was beautiful, a bunch of college kids taking a good chunk of time out of their schedule to walk to the abortion clinic and pray the rosary; asking for the intersection of our Mother Mary to protect these babies,” club member, Kaylee Toole said. “It was a beautiful night with a great and dedicated community.”

The club also ventured out to a Habitat For Humanity volunteer project down in La Mesa on March 22, to help rebuild a house for the homeless. We put paneling on the side of the house as well as planted fresh landscaping around the yard.

The club is also in the process of planning a food-packing event that is to be determined sometime in April.

The Catholic Club also goes out after our meetings to In-N-Out Burger or other local fast food restaurants to hang out and enjoy a late night snack together as a group. The Intervarsity Club has joined us on multiple occasions.

People who wish to become involved can like the Catholic Club on Facebook or email Club President, Andrew Reed directly at: [email protected].