Autism speaks: Raising awareness to prevent alienation

By Katlin Sweeney

Features Editor

Autism has become one of the most talked about disorders in America. Thousands of people and their families affected by it, many of them living in Southern California.

On April 3, the City of Temecula hosted Autism Speaks, a local event that featured a screening of the documentary Wretches & Jabberers. This film follows the journey of two autistic men as they travel around the world to raise awareness about the misconceptions surrounding disability and intelligence.

The film was followed by a panel that addressed many of the challenges faced by and misinterpretations about the people on the autism spectrum. Led by Temecula Mayor Mike Naggar, the panel featured three local women diagnosed on the spectrum to discuss their personal experiences and explain what autism is: Kelly Londenberg, 29, Melanie Brown, 28 and Sydney Edmund, 20.

“Autism is a sensory and movement disorder that makes it a challenge to organize my body and thoughts. I know these profound thoughts and ideas, but it is hard for me to communicate them,” Londenberg explained to the audience.

What many people are unaware of is the fact that autism is becoming more and more prevalent, with 1 in every 50 kids affected by the disorder. Each person not only has their own story, but their own type of autism, hence the term the ‘autism spectrum.’

Communication is also a common challenge for those diagnosed with autism, some people using computers and typing devices that read their sentences aloud so that they can carry on a conversation with another person.

“Communication will always be a struggle, but I found a way to adapt. I’m patient with it and try to surround myself with others who are patient too,” Brown said.

“All we need is someone that will sit there patiently with a helping hand on the shoulder while we peacefully type out what we want to say,” Edmund said, speaking on behalf of those who use typing devices to communicate like she does.

Temecula is not the only city looking to raise awareness about the autism spectrum. At CSUSM, this year’s Summer Institute’s official focus is “Belonging, Socializing and Communicating Across the Lifespan for Individuals with Autism Spectrum.” The conference will feature speakers that are professionals, researchers and self-advocates looking to discuss the ways that those diagnosed with autism can function in society. The conference seeks to spread the word about autism and motivate people to become more understanding about the disorder and the communication barrier that it creates.

For those interested in autism and its affects on those diagnosed, students can attend the Summer Institute 2013. The conference’s evening keynote will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. on June 13 and the full day conferences will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on June 14 and 15 in Arts Hall 111.