‘Revenge,’ ‘Girls’ offer different takes on female heroines

By Katlin Sweeney

Features Editor

‘Revenge’ 5/5 Paws

Must-Watch Episode: “Chaos” Season 1, Episode 15

“Revenge” is one of ABC’s most captivating shows, with protagonist Emily Thorne moving back to her childhood home in order to wreak havoc on the people who caused her father’s untimely death. Having spent years in juvenile hall and away from her home in the Hamptons,

Thorne uses the fact that no one recognizes her to her advantage. From seducing her enemies’ son to faking her identity to blowing up an office, “Revenge” will create an air of mystery and suspense that is hard to ignore. And with season two still airing on ABC, viewers that get addicted to the show on Netflix will not have to wait for the next season to be added online to finish watching the latest episodes.

‘Girls Just Want to Have Fun’ 4/5 Paws

Contrary to the obnoxious 1979 Cyndi Lauper hit with the same name, “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” will tug at your heartstrings and make you laugh at the right moments. A young Sarah Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt star in this campy romantic comedy about two girls trying to find who they are. When Janey (Parker) moves to town, she meets Lynne (Hunt), who instantly becomes her best friend. Janey realizes that Lynne has the same favorite television show as her, “Dance TV,” and they begin to bond over their mutual desire to one day be performers on it. However, opportunity comes knocking sooner rather than later when auditions are being held in town. Torn between wanting to abide by her military father’s strict rules and wanting to follow her biggest dream, Janey decides to take a risk and see what happens. This classic ‘80s teen dance movie is sure to make you smile within the first half hour.