No plans? Here are five things to do this summer

By Keandre Williams-Chambers

As much fun as the freedom sounds, sometimes summer break is not that fun without a few things to do here and there. We have all had it: those moments when we find ourselves moaning and groaning about something to do. Well, many of us are adults here. Let’s figure something out:

1. Go outside/travel

Sometimes the best thing to do is simply get out of the dwelling place and see the world outside of the door. As fun as it is to be tied to the computer, you could always take the technology outside. It’s a start. Go somewhere, gather a few friends, and head to the beach or theme parks. Maybe even a summer shopping spree could be fun. If money is an issue, that is no problem either. Have a homemade picnic in the park, go window-shopping, or troll with friends in public places. It doesn’t take that much to have fun while daylight is abound. If the night is your preference, there are many possibilities that exist there as well.

2. Catch up on your favorite entertainment

Got Netflix, Hulu, or access to YouTube for a few hours a day? Then you’ve got yourself a few hours of entertainment. Catch up on those series that you’re missing, or pick up on some new ones to occupy your time. If that’s not available, pick up a book, comic, or other print entertainment. Hours could be spent in enjoyment with these, and at least if they bore you, you can say you are not where you were a few hours ago.

3. Go hobby hunting

Without the heavy pressure of the spring and fall sessions, perhaps the summer would be an ideal time to dive into a worthwhile hobby. With time available and stress reasonably lower, anything will do. And let’s be honest, haven’t you always wanted to try archery or underwater basket weaving? Maybe you can finally get back on that horse and, well, ride the horse? Or maybe it’s just the season to paint the Mona Lisa…or at least try.

4. Get a job

I know, not the most fun way to spend the summer, but I can honestly say that it is a relieving and reasonably comforting experience to have a bit of extra spending money. Turn the ‘or’ in “Can I buy this or that?” to a satisfying “and.”

5. Be productive

For many of us, we still have a few years ahead of us in college. Just because we may not be taking summer sessions or heavy workloads, it doesn’t mean we can’t try to keep up with learning or anything along those lines. Sometimes taking a personal study time in some interesting subjects can be a delightfully time-consuming opportunity. Maybe you’ve wanted to learn about mermaid theory or the history of the Loch Ness monster, or even do a bit to learn about the community you live in. Just because it’s summer, it doesn’t mean there aren’t any volunteering opportunities around, or that there won’t be anyone that is interested in sharing their field of expertise with you for a short while. Opportunities await and it isn’t always wise to pass all of them up.