New student health center breaks ground this summer

By Melissa Martinez

News Editor

This summer, construction will begin for a new Student Health and Counseling Services (SHCS) building to be completed by September 2014 and opened by January 2015.

When completed, the 20,000-square-foot facility will reside on-campus across the street from student housing to provide easier access to residential students. Currently, CSUSM is leasing an off-campus space for SHCS, which is located at the PPH building across Twin Oaks Valley road.

The building is estimated to cost a total of $10 million, which is being paid for by Student Facility Fees. The building was first presented to the Board of Trustees and approved in November 2012.

SHCS currently offers students basic medical services to students for colds, headache, flu, breast exams, HIV testing, immunizations, pregnancy testing, biopsy, cryotheraphy, physical exams, etc. Students also have access to counselors to help them cope with academic and medical concerns, provided by a pre-paid fee of $67 per semester, included in tuition and fees. SHCS also provides Family PACT, a program aimed in offering family planning services and information regarding reproductive health to low-income students with or without their own private medical insurance.

“We look forward to the SHCS Building being in the heart of the campus, with the new location being across the street from student housing, the Clarke and the new University Student Union,” Cathy Baur, Associate Vice President for Communications, said. “This will give easier service access for our residential students, easier opportunities for collaborations with campus units, and will allow for more visible outreach activities.”

The proposed plans show interesting and creative architectural designs.

“An interesting design feature will be the labyrinth garden, which will be on the north side of the building. This will be an awesome, contemplative area for the campus community. There will also be a Zen garden near the outside elevator,” said Baur.

The building will hold examination rooms, medical offices and counseling spaces, along with a Health and Wellness program. With an accessible location (located near Parking Structure one) students are able to utilize health programs offered by the SHCS as well as keep their personal health updated.

For more information, please visit csusm.edu/shcs/index.html.