A fresh look: How I feel about the campus

Cal State San Marcos campus
Cal State San Marcos campus. Photo by Blanca Sarabia
Cal State San Marcos campus

By Chelsea Schweitzer

Many students who have been at CSUSM for a while take many things about the campus for granted, but from a freshman perspective this campus is amazing.

The majority of students primarily complain about the many stairs that have to be climbed multiple times a day. As a freshman who is not used to climbing stairs to get to every class, I agree that they can be taxing and a bit of an annoyance some days, but the fact remains that the stairs are a good thing. I’ll admit that I don’t exercise much due to a busy college schedule, which is a situation that I hear other students admit to their friends. With these stairs, we all get exercise that we might not have gotten otherwise. It helps keep even the least active person in better shape than they would have been in without these ‘cumbersome’ stairs.

I also love that the school has many different passages and buildings. I enjoy being able to turn down a hallway and discover that I’ve never been there before. Most students who have been on campus for a while know where everything is and have long forgotten how exciting it was to discover the many hidden areas the campus has to offer. As a freshman, discovering a staircase or room that I’ve never been in before is adventurous for me and I look forward to getting lost so that I can experience something new.

What I love most about the campus is that it’s constantly changing. I, like most students, am eagerly awaiting the opening of the new Student Union that is currently being built. This new addition will not only provide students with a new area to study or just pass the time between classes, but it will also provide every student on campus the ability to explore a new area. Even the seniors will have the opportunity to re-experience the feeling of wonder and excitement  that I currently feel as a freshman.