Mastering the steps of resolutions

Picasa

By: Saika Pitre

As students advance through their college careers, not only is it important to take pride in the work they accomplish, but also in the school grounds in which they walk upon.

To many, the “SM” in CSUSM’s acronym is commonly referred to as “Stair Master” instead of its intended meaning, “San Marcos.” While humorous, this nickname is fitting considering the substantial amount of stairs that are seen on campus, as they are virtually unavoidable. Some feel that the stairs act almost as a roadblock or hindrance to get to class on time due to the extra strain placed upon them, often resulting in slower commutes from the parking lot to the classroom. To an extent, this is true, but on the bright side it provides a good source of exercise.

Many students think that they have still not made a commendable effort to fulfilling the “New Year’s Resolution” of getting fit. They may have started out strong, but now feel as though their motivational fuse has burnt out. On the contrary, with CSUSM students having to go up and down the countless amount of stairs for every class session, they have unknowingly made efforts toward getting fit, no matter how small that effort may seem.

Cal State “Stair Master” may not provide people on campus with an intense, full body workout, but it does provide students a slight sense of accomplishment after working up a little cardio. It is time for students to stop viewing the unusual amount of stairs on campus as a burden, and to start recognizing them as the gift they really are. Although it is not immediately noticeable, once students walk across the stage at graduation, they will not only receive their much deserved diploma, but also leave with a nice of pair of quads.