Tasteless Halloween costumes

Photo provided by www.cocoandcreme.com
Photo provided by www.cocoandcreme.com

By Amanda Lenox

Editorial Assistant

Halloween has come and gone, but people are still talking about the controversial Halloween

costume choices made by young adults.

You would think that most people today have the mental capability to know when a costume is

appropriate or not. All tragedies, where people have died or been injured, should be a time in

which a costume inspired by that would be considered inappropriate.

Alicia Ann Lynch, 22, Amber Langford and Annie Collinge, both 19, seemed to not understand

this concept. Lynch (from Michigan) wore a costume of an injured Boston Marathon victim

while Langford and Collinge (from England) dressed as the World Trade Center Towers with

planes, flames and topped with the American flag. It is disgusting that these young adults would

step out of their house wearing costumes like that. It is safe to say that these girls clearly were

not thinking. Lynch has since apologized on social media accounts and uses the fact that she

has been fired from her job as a consequence of her actions. She should be fired; she wore that

indecent costume to work. Boston residents lived in fear for four days while police officers were

hunting the Tsarnaev brothers, the bombers who attacked innocent people. Lynch’s costume with

blood splattered across her legs and face showed insensitivity to all those who suffered, not just

for that week but who will continue to suffer for the rest of their lives.

Langford and Collinge wore their costumes to a club and won the costume contest that night.

Sept. 11 was a tragedy that impacted the entire world. For young adults in England to be wearing

this costume shows the ignorance expressed by some people.

These costumes were disgusting and offensive. Wearing these costumes is to make light of these

senseless tragedies. Young adults seem to have no respect for the loss of life that resulted and

one can only hope that others can learn from these mistakes and not be insensitive enough to

wear costumes next year that are so blatantly offensive.