Giving thanks this holiday season: Reflecting on what is most important to us

Photo by Noelle Friedberg

By Noelle Friedberg

Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and now is the perfect time to reflect on what we are

thankful for.

I for one am grateful for my education. Education has molded and shaped all of us into the

people we are today. School is something that most students take for granted because it is so

time-consuming and requires so many hours of hard work. Some also feel the privilege of an

education is a basic right, but in reality we are extremely lucky compared to others. The United

States is one of the top ten most educated countries in the world. We should feel fortunate to call

this place our home.

I know it is easy to think of school as a chore, but it is also such a blessing. One of the main

reasons we are who we are today is because of the teachers who have poured their knowledge

into our lives, all of the time we spent learning to read and write and because of all of our crazy

professors who challenged us to think more critically.

I think it is time that we become more appreciative of all of the years of schooling we have been

privileged to learn from. Without them, who knows where or who we would be and what kind

of worldview we would hold. It was in school that we made some of our closest friends, learned

how to multiply and were taught about the founding of our country. Your education is the only

reason you can even read any of the words on this page and the ability to read is definitely

something to be thankful for.

So on Thanksgiving when you are sitting around the dinner table stuffing your face with turkey

and delicious pies, take a second to think about all of your years of education and how far they

have brought you.