Heart Beat: Crossfit an exciting and communal form of exercise

Local crossfit gym. Photo taken by Rachel Gallego.
Individuals participating in Crossfit.

By: Rachel Gallego

If you have not heard of crossfit yet, it is the recent exercise regimen that consists of various high-intensity and functional movements that enhance all aspects of a person’s performance and fitness level.

What may seem strange and unfamiliar has a remarkable way of bringing together the community. This is one of the fundamental foundations that makes crossfit so effective.

Crossfit has recently become a popular group exercise program involving many different exercise routines, weights and movements including barbells, jumping squats and handstand push-ups. It is different from that of a traditional gym because people are not only there to get better themselves, but everyone is working together to advance the entire group. It prides itself on the communal aspect, because it gives people the support and encouragement needed to continue to benefit their performance.

Although it is a program focused on strength and conditioning, one of the principles of crossfit is that it does not specialize in any particular sport or target muscles. Each class is different in that it changes its routines and exercises so that you are always gaining new experiences. Crossfit encourages individuals to push themselves and continues to challenge your body to adapt to increased demands.

“It never gets easier, and that’s why people keep coming back,” James, an instructor from Crossfit Mission Gorge, said.

Due to its wide variety of exercises and team effort, Crossfit is ideal for any committed individual that is willing to try a new way of exercising that is unlikely to become boring.