Get Out! Cabrillo & Tide Pools

One+of+Cabrillos+many+wonderful+views.+Photo+provided+by+Ali+Seagle.+
One of Cabrillo’s many wonderful views. Photo provided by Ali Seagle.
One of Cabrillo's many wonderful views. Photo provided by Ali Seagle.

By: Alison Seagle

Nestled at the end of Point Loma, Cabrillo National Monument and the many great trails that surround it offer terrific views of San Diego Bay and the Pacific Ocean.

This national park, which is the only one in San Diego County, has two levels to explore for some fun and exercise in the outdoors.

The top level of the park includes the visitors’ center and the lighthouse. The bayside trail is a 2.5 mile roundtrip hike that starts at the Old Point Loma Lighthouse and, not surprisingly, weaves its way along the bayside of the park. From this trail, visitors can pass by old clues to Point Loma’s role and existence during WWI and WWII. The journey is filled with sweeping views of the beautiful harbor and Coronado Island.

There are no restrooms or water stations along the trail, so it is advised that hikers bring their own water and utilize the facilities by the lighthouse before beginning their venture. There is also another short trail that starts at the lighthouse and offers views to the west, including a lookout for whales during December through February and the kelp forest.

After checking out the topside trails, lighthouse and Cabrillo Statue, there is still more to see down at the tide pools. The tide pools can be reached by a narrow road that turns off right by the entrance to the park. From three different parking lots, hikers can find a trail and continue their journey, witnessing the waves crashing on the cliffs and experiencing a closer view of the ocean

Cabrillo National Monument is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. There is a $5 entrance fee per car. More information about Cabrillo can be found at http://www.nps.gov/cabr/index.htm.