Spend winter break watching wonderful shows from Japan

Japaneses film and series review

Alex Maravillas, Staff Writer

Many celebrate the holidays with an inexplicable fixation on embellished trees and snow including our neighbors across the Pacific Ocean, Japan. Some anime series will throw in a holiday episode within the lineup to celebrate seasonal cheer.

There are films that are also holiday themes. Here are two holiday-themed anime films and a series that may perk your interest while you start your winter break in December.

Directed by the late Satoshi Kon, “Tokyo Godfathers” is a warm and fuzzy holiday film about the action of being forgiven and a group consisting of unconventional parental figures and a child living together.

The film follows three homeless companions who find a baby on Christmas Eve. These unlikely godparents encounter a series of remarkable concurrence of events and circumstances revealing each other’s past while probing for the baby’s birth parents.

If you were looking for one anime holiday film to culminate the season on, watch this one. This film is heartwarming, funny and fully emcompasses the holiday spirit.

Another film with some of the most iconic magical girls, “Sailor Moon S Movie: Hearts in Ice,” is a winter-themed movie that features cameos by Santa and Tuxedo Kamen (a.k.a. Tuxedo Mask). An eccentric snowstorm hits Tokyo and the Sailor Scouts discover that an evil snow queen Kaguya, wants to freeze the entire earth. It’s up to the girls to save the day.

If you like magical girls, monsters and felines transmuting into humans in lieu of the holiday season, this hour-long movie is impeccable.

Lastly, Hulu will update its online catalog with movies and TV shows that will commence streaming on Dec. 1. There will additionally be several other movies and TV shows available only through the Showtime integration on subscription.

The story of Kyoto Animation’s series begins with Haruka Nanase, a high school boy who once swam competitively. After years of disunion, his childhood friend Rin challenges him to a swimming match, exhibiting Haruka his inundating potency.

Not wanting it to culminate like this, Haruka comes together with his former teammates, Makoto and Nagisa, once again, and withal brings a brand new member Rei Ryugazaki to create the Iwatobi High School Swimming Club. Haruka, Makoto, Nagisa, Rei and Rin converge for a story of swimming, youth and friendship.

The anime premiered in July, and Crunchyroll streamed the anime as it aired in Japan for western fans. The complete run of “Free!: Eternal Summer” will be available on Hulu on Dec. 11. Although this series isn’t holiday themed, this series is worth the watch. Hopefully the heat the swimmers bring will warm you during the chilly season.