Competing as a dual sport athlete

Burtland Dixon, Sports Editor

Today we rarely see athletes participating in more than just one sport. In the past we had MLB and NFL player Bo Jackson, but who do we look up to now for the blueprint?

Once you get to the collegiate level of sports it becomes extremely difficult to play two sports. This is for various reasons, such as time constraints and, of course, actually wanting to do it.

Alison Willcox is one of the rare athletes who compete in two sports at CSUSM. She is a forward in soccer and a sprinter in track and field.

“I don’t think two sports are for everyone, but it could be,” said Willcox. “For me, I know that if I am not passionate about something, odds are I am not going to consistently try my best, especially if it’s hard. For me, my passion for the game and my competitiveness of not wanting to lose is enough to motivate me to try my best in both of my sports.”

Passion fuels someone’s desire to do something. Willcox wanting to sweat for hours and be sore the next morning is all part of the package that comes with the double sport pledge. Of course, there is also beauty in the struggle.

“I think the best part about being in two sports is the friends I make and families I become a part of … being able to surround myself with people who I like and who have similar interests,” said Willcox.

The two sport grind on top of homework and studying for exams is plenty enough for a college student-athlete. Following Willcox’s way, passion and competitiveness can be your guiding light. Those intangibles can not only help in sports, but throughout life in general.