Building CSUSM softball brick by brick

Coach+Nevarez+at+practice.+Photo+by+Anne+Hall.+
Anne Hall
Coach Nevarez at practice. Photo by Anne Hall.

By Justin Donner

CSUSM softball is fast paced, fun to watch, has free admission for students and is 10 times better with a packed house.

“She is a great coach and great person. Coach Nevarez holds us accountable, looks out for our futures and puts school first,” senior outfielder, Brittney Guy, said.

Nevarez spent 10 years as the head coach of the University of Redlands, and had led the Bulldogs to nine straight SCIAC titles. In fact, her first game as a Cougar was against her old school, and the Cougars swept the Bulldogs with a pair of victories.

“It was an intense first couple of games and we were focused. I knew their players because I had recruited a lot of their roster,” Coach Nevarez said.

Some key players to look out for this season would be Alex Miller, a senior outfielder, Brenna Parker, a transfer from Palomar and Katie Wilkinson, the Cougars’ junior pitcher. Students of CSUSM should mark Sunday, April 13 on their calendars since the Cougars will be taking on Concordia. They are the team that won the NAIA National Championship Tournament last year, and it should make for a very exciting game.

“We are building this program brick by brick, and the administration has been very supportive of that,” Nevarez said.

Coach Nevarez is excited about her position because the university is growing and going places. She already had family and a house in the area, and the move to San Marcos seemed like the perfect scenario for her and her family.

It’s a great time to check out what CSUSM has to look forward to this year out of its softball team.

3/7/2014 Fri. La Sierra (DH) CSUSM 1:00 PM, 3:00 PM
3/15/2014 Sat. William Jessup (DH) CSUSM 12:00 PM, 2:00 PM