Prowlin’ the Kitchen: Farmer’s Market Special: Bruschetta

By: Jenna Jauregui, Digital Media Manager

Media Credits

Thumbnail Image: Chelsea Jauregui

Farmers’ markets are steadily gaining popularity as more people venture out from under the grocery store’s fluorescent lights and into the world of open-air shopping.  Featuring locally grown and often organic produce, farmers’ markets are the perfect place to find fresh, healthy choices and support the local agricultural community.  The farmers’ market experience stimulates every sense—the colorful array of food, the free samples of homegrown goods, and the pleasant conversation with local growers all help you to remember where your food comes from and appreciate its roots.

During this late summer season, local markets have an abundance of tomatoes, herbs, and other garden goodies.  This week’s recipe features ripe tomatoes and fresh basil.  According to healthfood-guide.com, tomatoes are high in lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that helps fight cancer.  Studies have also suggested that tomatoes may help fight aging and degenerative diseases.  Fresh, organic produce from the farmers market guarantees that the tomato’s nutrient power is at its peak!  What better way to highlight this juicy fruit than a delicious batch of bruschetta?  Although the name may sound fancy, bruschetta is one of the simplest, quickest ways to use your farmers’ market finds.  Enjoy this tasty Italian creation as an appetizer, a side dish, or a hearty snack!

Fresh Bruschetta

• 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 2 large ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
  • ½ cup chopped fresh basil
  • ½ cup crumbled cheese (like feta, ricotta, or goat cheese)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • crusty bread

Combine garlic, olive oil, chopped tomatoes, and basil until well mixed and season with salt and pepper.  Spoon onto slices of warmed, toasted crusty bread and serve.  Feel free to experiment and add olives, onion, or other extras to the tomato mixture!  Savor the fresh taste, and appreciate that your ingredients were grown with extra love and care.

Ciao, my bruschetta babes!  See you at the next farmers’ market!

The Cookin’ Cougar

View Comments (1)

• A

AlexSep 16, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Yummy!

Reply