Read Edition 13 of The Cougar Chronicle (4/28/21)

The link to each Edition 13 article is below.

The Cougar Chronicle has a YouTube channel for video stories. Please subscribe to stay up to date on our latest videos!

Don’t forget to subscribe to The Cougar Chronicle’s newsletter to get stories delivered to your inbox.

The sign-up form is in the sidebar of this site or here.

Carolyn Cheng

NEWS

The CSU announced plans for a vaccine requirement, as long as one of the available vaccines becomes fully approved by the FDA. (Photo by RF._.Studio on Pexels)

CSU announces fall vaccine requirement, pending complete FDA approval

The CSU announced that faculty, staff and students accessing campus locations will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, as long as at least one of the available vaccines is granted complete approval by U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and there is an adequate supply for everyone to get vaccinated. READ MORE

Graduating students share thoughts on two-guest limit for commencement

Some graduating students believe that the two-guest limit for commencement ceremonies is fair, while others believe that students should be allowed to bring more guests. READ MORE

Campus Notes

Stay up to date on the latest campus happenings. READ MORE

Library announces winners of undergraduate research awards

The library has announced the 12 winners of this year’s CSUSM University Library Award for Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity. READ MORE

VIDEO

Jose Valdovinos and Carolyn Cheng

WATCH VIDEO: CSUSM celebrates graduates with parade and commencement ceremonies

Brian Gallegos and Kat Parra

WATCH VIDEO: Cougar Showcase Ep. 5: CSUSM student John McAndrew has a collection of over 1,000 records

SPORTS

Nicole Diggs is excited to graduate and work in property management. She will miss her Cougar family the most.
(Photo courtesy of the Office of Athletics)

Life after Graduation: Q&A with Nicole Diggs

Nicole Diggs is a graduating senior on the women’s volleyball team majoring in business with an emphasis in human resources. She discusses how she will miss her team and is excited for her future in owning a business in property management. READ MORE

Life after Graduation: Q&A with Justin Vrzich

Justin Vrzich is a graduating senior on the men’s golf team majoring in communication. He talks about how much he has learned through CSUSM Athletics and how his next steps in life include professional golf. READ MORE

CSUSM alumnus John Stevens (‘20) shares what he’s been doing since graduation and reflects on his time on the baseball team. (Photo courtesy of the Office of Athletics)

Alumni Athlete Spotlight: Q&A with John Stevens

John Stevens (’20) talks about how life is since graduating and how CSUSM baseball has left him with many lifelong friends. READ MORE

Alumni Athlete Spotlight: Q&A with Shelby Eberwein

Shelby Eberwein (’19) was a student athlete on the CSUSM track and field and cross country team for four years. She shares how her experiences at CSUSM have impacted her and what her life has been like after graduation. READ MORE

Melanie Ramirez

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

REVIEW: CSUSM professor shares how to write through self-identity at virtual event

The Cross-Cultural Center held an online event called “Writing as a Tool of Resistance” on April 13. READ MORE

CSUSM’s Office of Global Education hosted an International Student Showcase to highlight creative international students’ work. (Screenshot from the Office of Global Education’s Instagram)

International students get the spotlight at a multi-campus showcase event

CSUSM’S Office of Global Education hosted their first multi-campus international student virtual showcase event in conjunction with San Diego State University (SDSU), UC San Diego (UCSD) and the University of San Diego on April 15. READ MORE

REVIEW: Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar shows that middle-aged women can still have their “hot girl summer”

Barb and Star go to Vista Del Mar is an eccentric and poppy new film that amplifies vacation vibes on the sunny coast of Florida.  READ MORE

REVIEW: True-crime documentary Why Did You Kill Me? exposes the power of social media and false identities to solve a murder

In the Earth is now available to stream on Netflix. (Photo from Wikipedia, property of Netflix)

Netflix released Why Did You Kill Me?, a true-crime documentary about the tragic death of Crystal Theobald, on April 14. This Netflix original brings to light to the fatal 2006 shooting of the innocent 24-year-old woman.  READ MORE

REVIEW: Horror film In the Earth falls short in scaring its audience

Ben Wheatley’s new film, In the Earth (2021) blends both fictional and scientific ideologies.  READ MORE

The Chronicle Entertainment Rundown 

The Chronicle staff highlights the best new entertainment. Entertainment Rundown (5/3/21) or Entertainment Rundown (5/3/21)

FEATURES

CSUSM student Gyanna Downey has a passion for photography. (Photo courtesy of Gyanna Downey; graphic by Carolyn Cheng)

Cougar of the Week: Q&A with CSUSM student Gyanna Downey

Gyanna Downey is a talented second year student majoring in psychology and minoring in visual arts. Read this Q&A to learn more about her artistic journey in photography and to get a sneak peek at her future projects. READ MORE

Try out these crafts to decorate your home

As the semester is winding down, things may be getting more stressful. If you are looking for a way to relax, here are a few quick and easy crafts you can do. READ MORE

Treat your pup to this delicious snack

Dogs are said to be man’s best friend and everyone wants to spoil their dogs once in a while. If you are looking for a way to pamper your pooch, here is a very simple dog treat recipe you can make with just five ingredients. READ MORE

OPINION

CSUSM is only permitting 2020-2021 graduates to bring two guests to prevent COVID cases from spreading. (Melanie Ramirez)

OPINION: Although disappointing, limited guest seating for commencement makes sense as a way to protect peers and loved ones

CSUSM is looking to limit the amount of guests for graduation this year, which has caused quite a stir among the graduating body of students. Although many are saddened by this move from  the school, it has been done in order to prevent a rise in COVID cases surrounding the school and students’ families and friends. READ MORE

OPINION: Social media provides unrealistic images that impact mental health

In this social media-dominated world, many tend to present themselves differently from who they are in real life. Throughout this pandemic, that hasn’t really changed as much. In fact, it may have gotten worse. READ MORE

An immunity passport can be beneficial in keeping people safe and encourage them to get vaccinated, but we should consider the ethical concerns first.
(Carolyn Cheng)

OPINION: Colleges shouldn’t have the power to withhold student transcripts over an unpaid balance

Universities shouldn’t have the power to hold students’ transcripts hostage when they have an outstanding balance for just one semester. Schools should at least allow students to receive an official transcript up to the last paid semester. READ MORE

OPINION: Vaccine passport could have benefits, but we need to consider the ethics of it

While I personally feel as though the immunity passport could be very beneficial, there are definitely some ethical questions that come into play.  READ MORE

OPINION: Stan culture is problematic for both the celebrity and the fans

All pop culture figures have fandoms filled with people who adore them. But the most hardcore stans go as far as defend every misstep the celebrity takes, which can be problematic for a number of reasons. READ MORE

The Academic Senate endorsed renaming Craven Hall due to the legislator’s controversial remarks toward the Hispanic community.
(Kat Parra)

OPINION: CSUSM faculty senate is correct: William Craven should not be honored at CSUSM

Even though William Craven is a part of CSUSM’s history, his comments and views should not be ignored for the sake of honor. Craven represents everything the school is against in terms of inclusion. READ MORE