Read Edition 9 of The Cougar Chronicle (2/24/21)

The link to each Edition 9 article is below.

The Cougar Chronicle recently launched a YouTube channel for video stories. Please subscribe to stay up to date on our latest videos!

Don’t forget to subscribe to The Cougar Chronicle’s Newsletter to get stories delivered to your inbox.

The sign-up form is in the sidebar of this site or here.

Brian Gallegos

NEWS

Interim Medical Director of CSUSM’s Student Health & Counseling Services Dr. James Chun discusses vaccine distribution and campus reopening. (The Cougar Chronicle File Photo)

CSUSM medical director discusses vaccine distribution and campus reopening

With vaccines coming out, some students are hoping that CSUSM may be an ideal location to receive their shots, but for places like Student Health & Counseling Services (SHCS), the ability to give out vaccines might not be as easy as it seems. READ MORE

Campus Notes

Stay up to date on the latest campus happenings. READ MORE

Jose Valdovinos, Richard Carpenter, Anneliese Esparza, Brian Gallegos

VIDEO

VIDEO: CSUSM opens vaccine supersite

CSUSM opened a vaccine supersite on Jan. 31. WATCH VIDEO

Kat Parra, Richard Carpenter, David Faketty

VIDEO: Cougars on the Run: Opinions on the Virtual Spring Semester

CSUSM students share their outlook on the spring semester. WATCH VIDEO

VIDEO: Cougar Showcase Ep. 3: Andrew Stewart

Esabel Sadek

CSUSM professor talks about and reads from his upcoming debut novel, We Shall Sing a Song into the Deep. WATCH VIDEO

SPORTS

With the shift to a virtual school year, CSUSM Athletics launched a podcast, “The Roar,” to discuss different aspects about their department. (Melanie Ramirez)

Podcast virtually creates discussions about CSUSM Athletics

CSUSM Athletics launched a podcast called “The Roar” in November to discuss different aspects of their department. READ MORE

CSUSM advisory committee gives student athletes a voice

Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) representatives aim to give student-athletes the best experience by advocating for student-athlete voices and coordinating events. READ MORE

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Faculty share creative writing with campus community

Five literature & writing (LTWR) faculty members read from their past or current literary projects on Feb. 11 in a Zoom event hosted by the LTWR department. READ MORE

Cougar Corner

Read a poem by student Emily Knoff or a poem by student Madison Hart.

Katherine Heigl and Sarah Chalke star as Tully and Kate in Netflix’s drama TV show Firefly Lane. (Photo from Wikipedia, property of IMDb and Netflix)

The Chronicle Entertainment Rundown

The Cougar Chronicle staff highlights the best new entertainment. Entertainment Rundown (2/21/21) or Entertainment Rundown (2/27/21) READ MORE

REVIEW: Firefly Lane reveals the friendship of two polar opposites throughout the decades

Netflix’s recently-released drama TV show Firefly Lane springs on the unique friendship of two girls that are each desperate for a friend. READ MORE

REVIEW: Sia’s new film Music faces backlash from the autism community

Sia’s new film Music quickly had people talking for the wrong reasons after its release on Feb. 10. READ MORE

CSUSM Arts & Lectures Series hosts dancer, activist Mayfield Brooks

CSUSM‘s Arts & Lectures series hosted their second event of the semester,“DE-Composing Dance: A Discourse for Dance Decomposition and Choreographies of Breath,” featuring Mayfield Brooks on Feb. 18. READ MORE

FEATURES

Student inspired by family restaurant

CSUSM student Paola Ochoa works in her family-owned restaurant while also starting her own small business making custom chocolate covered strawberries. READ MORE

Dr. Godfrey Gibbison, the Dean of Extended Learning, talks about his goals and plans to help students succeed through the Extended Learning program at CSUSM. (Photo courtesy of the CSUSM Extended Learning website) (Carolyn Cheng)

Cougar of the Week: Q&A with Dean of Extended Learning Dr. Godfrey Gibbison

Read an interview with Dr. Godfrey Gibbison, CSUSM’s newly appointed Dean of Extended Learning. READ MORE

Life after college: CSUSM graduate shares her experience

Lara Amin (’20) shares what life has been like for her since graduating during the pandemic and going on to start graduate school with virtual education. READ MORE

Club Spotlight: Feminists Unite offers a safe space for discussion and activism

A member of Feminists Unite shares her experience with being a part of the organization. READ MORE

Make your life easier with these useful tips

There are little things in life that are more complicated than they need to be. Here are a few tips and tricks that can help you get those simple tasks done efficiently. READ MORE

Learn how to make this popular Hispanic dish with this recipe, one that will surely add a bit of spice to your life. (Kat Parra)

Local boba shop brings a Taiwanese treat to your home

Offering many tasty drink and snack options, Ding Tea is a refreshing small boba establishment located in San Marcos. READ MORE

Try your hand at making authentic chile relleno

Learn how to make this popular Hispanic dish with this recipe, one that will surely add a bit of spice to your life. READ MORE

OPINION

The answer is still very unclear whether CSUSM students should return to campus next fall. (Kat Parra)

OPINION: Return to campus remains uncertain

With the switch to virtual learning for the 2020-21 academic year, students are unsure whether they can go back to campus next fall. READ MORE

OPINION: Student organizations struggle with participation during the pandemic

Student life has drastically been impacted during the pandemic. Since the campus has been closed for almost a year, the “Zoom university” era has created hurdles for campus clubs to thrive. READ MORE

OPINION: GRE scores should not be the sole indicator of students’ success at the graduate level

Standardized exams for graduate admissions are a poor way to predict students’ success at the graduate level. Moreover, higher income students have an unfair advantage because they can afford test prep. READ MORE

Working women have been disproportionately affected during the pandemic. (Carolyn Cheng)

OPINION: The pandemic pulls back the curtain at gender inequalities for working women

The pandemic has pushed women out of the workforce in alarmingly larger numbers than men. The main reason women have left the force is because of the ongoing struggle to find childcare. READ MORE

OPINION: Introverts have both advantages and challenges with learning in a virtual environment

Introverts have some advantages in online learning, but should push themselves to be more forward in networking and communicating with others. READ MORE

OPINION: Cultural appropriation disrespects minority cultures at the benefit of the privileged

If you ever feel like you may be crossing the line of appropriation and appreciation, think to yourself: are you respecting culture or making fun of it? READ MORE